This article provides some workaround to help keep Standby2 up to date after a Graceful Switchover is performed between Primary and Standby1.
Applicable Error Code
Dbvisit Standby v8
All platforms supported by v8
How to keep Standby2 configuration working and up to date after a Graceful Switchover is performed between Primary and Standby1.
Primary: kiwi701; Oracle 220.127.116.11.0 Single instance, +ASM Standby1: kiwi702; Oracle 18.104.22.168.0 Single instance, +ASM Standby2: kiwi703; 22.214.171.124.0 Single instance, Filesystem DDC1: DEV1 (for Primary -> Standby1) DDC2: DEV2 (for Primary -> Standby2)
The 3 hosts communicate with each other
The 2 DDC's - configurations
- Before clicking the "SUBMIT" button, make sure the log gap is 0. Otherwise, if there is a gap, GS will prompt you to send and apply logs to standby until they are sync.
3. Once GS is successful, send and apply logs should work as per normal between the new Primary (kiwi702) and now Standby1 (kiwi701)
On new Primary:
On now Standby1:
1. Create a 3rd DDC called DEV3 with Primary as kiwi702 and Standby as kiwi703
Note: Keep DDC2, for when the decision is made to switch back to the original Primary host.
2. On new Primary - Kiwi702, send logs
3. On Standby2 - Kiwi703, apply logs
Notice we've performed Steps 2 & 3 using the Command line. These steps can also be done through the GUI console.
After sending and applying the archived logs, the Log Gap report between kiwi702 and kiwi703 shows no gap.